Alternative History Editorial News
Harry Turtledove is a fascinating writer in the science fiction genre, as he writes in a sub-category called “alternative history”. Were he to write an alternative history from an ultra-conservative Tea Party perspective, using their vision for America and embodying their ideals, here are some suggestions.
Start by wiping out all the progressive legislation of the 20th century. Get government out of the way of the marketplace and leave Wall Street and big business alone. No more government regulation. Theodore Roosevelt doesn’t get elected and the Sherman and Clayton Act of 1914 doesn’t keep the robber barons of laissez-faire economics in check. And about unions. All those workers with their living wages, able to send their kids to college, are the ruination of America. Right to work laws will be enforced in every state. The National Labor Relations Act of 1935 doesn’t get passed, so corporate America pays what it feels like paying and maintains the mines and factories in the way they feel they can afford. No OSHA or child labor law exists either. None of the New Deal legislation of 1935-36 (like Social Security) gets introduced in Congress, as they discourage individual initiative. No entitlement programs happen, nor does the Great Society’s War on Poverty or Medicare and Medicaid, years later.
Breathing the air and drinking the water not cleaned up by the Environmental Protection Act of 1969 is great fun because corporate America got to save all that clean-up money spent because of profit-killing over-regulation. The states have taken over all education and local matters, so Brown vs. Board of Education (1954) and the Civil Rights Act (1964) never happen.
Government grants for all non-military research and development, pure science progress funded by the federal government, wouldn’t please a Tea Party controlled government, either. Corporate America’s bottom line would.
“We could end the deficit in 5 minutes.” You just pass a law that says that anytime there is a deficit of more than 3% of GDP, all sitting members of Congress are ineligible for re-election. The 26th amendment (granting the right to vote for 18 year-olds) took only 3 months & 8 days to be ratified! Why? Simple! The people demanded it. That was in 1971…before computers, e-mail, cell phones, etc. Of the 27 amendments to the Constitution, seven (7) took 1 year or less to become the law of the land……………….all because of public pressure.
Here is the pledge to my fellow Citizens to fix our problem and put our house in order with Congressional Reform Act of 2012
- No Tenure / No Pension. A Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.
- Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security. All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.
- Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.
- Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.
- Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.
- Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.
- All contracts with past and present Congressmen are void effective 1/1/12. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen. Congressmen made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.
- Last not the least get rid of corporate tax, all jobs offshore will be in shore in no times, that is how you fix unemployment
If each person contacts a minimum of twenty people then it will only take three days for most people in The United States of America to receive the message. Maybe it is time for change……………..!!!
THIS IS HOW YOU FIX CONGRESS AND HOUSE WILL BE FIXED ITS SELF!!!!! If you agree with the above, pass it on. If you don’t agree just delete. You are one of my 20. Please keep it going………………………..